BACK TO SCHOOL MMA WORKOUT
It’s that time of year again! A time where classes are starting, free time is dwindling, and attention to diet and exercise takes a back burner to the demands of a packed college schedule. We know how hard it can be to juggle 8:00 AM classes, homework, cram sessions, exams, and, of course your personal life! Have no fear because we have plenty of options
for you to squeeze some training in betweenclasses so you can still hone your MMA technique and get in shape even when you can’t make it to The MMA Club. All of these exercises are MMA-focused and can be done for anywhere 1-10 minutes depending on how much time you have before you have to rush to your next class.
1. ShadowMMA: This is an easy one that you can do absolutely anywhere, and it has the added benefit of making you look like a bad ass. Take five or ten minutes and practice some of your favorite combos. If it’s early and you aren’t awake yet, you can always stick to the basics with the 1 2 3 4 combo, jab – straight – front hook – back hook.
2. Alternating High Plank/Low Plank With Punches: Start in high plank position and lower down on to one elbow at a time, alternate forward punches, and return to high plank, rinse and repeat. This is an incredibly effective and quick exercise that can be done in 1-3 minutes. If you want to make it more challenging, just keep your feet close together.
3. Weighted Squats & Wall Sits: You carry around hundreds of dollars of books every day, maybe a laptop, and other supplies. What better way to get more for your money than using that weight for some weighted squats and wall sits? Grab that book bag and fold it against your chest or above your head and start squatting. Every 10-15 squats hold against the wall for 1-2 minutes for an added burn.
4. Super Speed Circuit: Bust out 10 sets of one two punches followed by 5 burpees, repeat 5 times for a circuit. Repeat the circuit 1-2 more times if time permits. For added difficulty pop up into a sumo squat after the push up in each burpee. This one will absolutely get your heart pumping and is great for conditioning!
5. Imaginary Jump Rope: Jumping rope is incredibly effective for MMA because it conditions your body and increase your cardiovascular endurance. It is common for people new to the jump rope to use their muscles the entire time. An experienced jumper will only use split second muscle contractions for quick hops, and that skill will prove invaluable in the ring. You don’t even need a jump rope for this, but toss one in your bag in the morning if you prefer.
And for all those non-student athletes out there, remember all you need is a little space and your body to do any of these also! You can do these at home, at the office, at the park, anywhere you find yourself with a few spare minutes. Do you have thoughts on adjustments, or ways to make these even more effective? Hit us up on social media and let us know! We would love to hear how you squeeze working out into your hectic schedules.